Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The List of 15, 82nd Academy Awards

The visual effects branch of the Academy have announced their 'list of 15' films, considered semifinalists in the race for the Oscar nominations for the 82nd Academy Awards, as determined by the branch's Executive Committee:
  • Angels & Demons
  • Avatar
  • Coraline
  • Disney’s A Christmas Carol
  • District 9
  • G-Force
  • G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
  • Sherlock Holmes
  • Star Trek
  • Terminator Salvation
  • Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
  • 2012
  • Watchmen
  • Where the Wild Things Are
The visual effects branch's Executive Committee will then whittle this list down to seven films in the next few weeks, which will be featured at the bake-off (to take place on January 21, 2010) where each of the seven films presents a 15 minute reel of their finished work, and takes questions from the entire visual effects branch. The entire branch then votes for their top three choices, which ultimately determine the three Academy Award nominees for Best Visual Effects. The nominees for all categories will be announced on February 2, 2010. The entire Academy membership then votes on the winner.

I'm very proud to have contributed to the visual effects for three films on this list: "Star Trek," "Avatar" and "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen," while at Industrial Light & Magic.

My prediction for the final seven films: "Avatar," "District 9," "G.I. Joe," "Harry Potter," "Star Trek," "Transformers 2" and "2012." Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Daniel Broadway said...

I don't see how anything can beat Avatar.

TylerMirage said...

Um, is it just me, or is "Coraline" in the COMPLETELY WRONG CATEGORY?! (If I recall, this same thing happened in 1993 with "A Nightmare Before Christmas" competing with "Jurassic Park", but I think that this was the case because an 'Animated Film' category had yet to be created.) I'm also thinking the same thing with "A Christmas Carol", that it SHOULD be in the 'Animated Film' category, but I think "Beowulf" was in the running in 2007, so whatever. To me, "Coraline" in this category is still WRONG. "The Twilight Saga: New Moon"? "Drag Me to Hell"? I mean, there were probably several other films with REAL visual effects who could've contended! But, who am I to argue with the Academy Awards? ;)

My predictions for the semi-final 7 contenders are:
"Avatar", 'District 9", "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra", "Star Trek", "Terminator Salvation", "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" and "2012".

These would then be narrowed down to "Avatar", "Star Trek", and "Transformers 2". If I had my way, "Transformers 2" would win, simply because it was robbed by "The Golden Compass" last time. But, losing to "Avatar" wouldn't be such a bad thing, as long as "Transformers 2" gets nominated in the final three. Here's hoping!

(Great job, Todd!)

Saikoprod said...

Avatar is the most entertaining film ever made!
Check out my website, I have done a few Visual Effects work!
http://saikoprod.com/